This method of cooking mussels on the braai with garlic butter and cheese stems from my childhood holidays in Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape. As a family we would enjoy picking mussels off the rocks together and later in the evening we would all sit by the open fire devouring them the minute they came off the flames! Definitely what memories are made of.
Mussels on the Braai
- 1,5kg black mussels
- 170g cheese (grated)
- 5g chives (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 125g butter
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot with a small amount of water at the bottom, steam the mussels for approximately 8 minutes.
- While the mussels are steaming, combine the garlic and butter.
- De-beard the mussels.
- Open the mussels discarding the half shells with no meat.
- Place the remaining mussel shells with meat on a tray and spoon a decent amount of garlic butter into each shell.
- Sprinkle the mussels with the grated cheese and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Braai until garlic butter is bubbling and cheese has melted.
- Enjoy straight off the fire if you wish!
- Don't be shy about adding toppings!