Nothing says South Africa more than a braai’d snoek with apricot jam. Local really is lekker!
Braai'd Snoek with Sticky Apricot Jam Chutney
- 1 snoek (from your local fish deli)
- 85g butter
- 2 heaped tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup chutney
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed)
- Get your braai on the go and grease the grid so the snoek skin doesn't stick to it.
- Place your flecked snoek on the grid, skin side down.
- In a small pot on the stove, heat the butter and garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the jam, chutney and lemon juice and combine with a whisk into a nice sticky chutney jam.
- Allow the jam to reduce on a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with the whisk.
- Take the jam off the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before basting the fish.
- Baste the snoek generously with the jam until evenly coated.
- Place the grid over the hot coals, skin side down.
- Cook on a medium heat, with the grid at its highest setting for about 15-20 minutes.
- Best enjoyed straight off the grid with your fingers!
- Do not add salt to the fish, as a proper flecked snoek would have already been salted in the process. Make sure your local fish deli has prepared your snoek properly by flecking and salting it accordingly.
- I used a braai grid with a handle so that I could quickly and easily remove from the braai once done.
- Make sure your fish deli supplies you with a good quality fish and not a "pap snoek".