Prawn Lover | Frozen Box | Wild caught | 2kg
MORE PRAWN FOR YOUR BUCK
A great option for the real prawn lovers out there, this box offers incredible value to those who can’t get enough of these delicious crustaceans. These large prawns are caught in the cold Atlantic Ocean between South Africa and Argentina and are frozen whole on the boat to lock in the flavours of the ocean. The prawns arrive at your door frozen whole and are perfect for a big seafood braai.
2kg Queen prawns (Between 40 and 60 prawns)
Your box will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost (do not thaw under vacuum/pressure). Simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly. We are not able to butterfly or de vein prawns, as this would require defrosting and refreezing, which effects quality.
Our prawns are sourced from an Argentinian fishery that is in the final stages of MSC certification. This is in line with efforts by this body to help reduce the impact fisheries have on species populations and ocean ecology, while also finding new ways to reduce harm to seabirds and bycatch.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium high
GEAR USED : Trawl
SUPPORTING LOCALS : No
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 5000km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Medium
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Garlic Butter Prawns
Check out this prawn box recipe courtesy of our partner site The Fishwife. It uses the whole box and is simple and delicious. You will need:
- 2kg Prawns
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 200g Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic (minced)
- Lemon wedges
- If the prawns are frozen, allow to defrost.
- Butterfly the prawns. To butterfly, I use a pair or small sharp scissors to cut the prawn along the spine from the base of the head until the top of the tail. Leave the tail and head on.
- De-vein the prawns. To de-vein the prawns, run your fingers along the butterflied spine and pull out the visible dark vein and discard.
- Once you have butterflied and de-veined, run the prawns under cold water to clean properly.
- Allow excess water to drain off the prawns and place on a tray.
- Combine the paprika and salt. Sprinkle this spice mix on the exposed meat of the prawns where you have butterflied them. (You can sprinkle any excess spice mix over the tray of prawns when done).
- In a large skillet on medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil.
- When bubbling, add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- You will need to work in batches as all the prawns will not fit in the skillet at once.
- Place the prawns in the bubbling mixture on their backs and allow to cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside in the tray.
- Repeat with remaining prawns until all the prawns have been cooked.
- Once you have completed this step with all the prawns, place back in the skillet, this time on their sides and cook for a further 3 minutes, tossing them over halfway.
- Repeat until all the prawns have been cooked.
- Enjoy with a squeeze of lemon and some lemon mayonnaise. (Lemon Mayonnaise: 4 Tbsp of mayonnaise and the juice of 1 lemon).
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
We bought the box of prawns as a present and they have arrived safely and on time, the recipient is delighted. Thanks
We could not have been happier with the prawns we received. The entire process was easy and efficient. The quality & size of the prawns were brilliant. Additionally, when you compare value for money they are beat the major retailers and surpass them massively in freshness and quality. Finally, it feels good knowing all packaging and products have been obtained in an environmentally friendly and sustainable manner. We will definitely be ordering again.
Best prawns ever!
Great quality, loved the Kabeljou, so hard to find so fresh, will definitely buy again.
Braaid the prawns with a peri peri rub. Absolutely delicious! Great quality and decent size. Thanks
Great quality, same day delivery!
36 prawns medium to large great value for money , well worth it
Totally fantastic. From the Greenfish service to quality brilliant experience!
Every member of the family feasted on the box of prawns done in the skottle!
Great quality prawns.
Not good. These were frozen over and all the way from Argentina as well
Good Day Kosheek. Thank you for reviewing us. My apologies that you are not satisfied with your delivery. From your review I am assuming you where expecting fresh prawns? I am not sure why when the product you selected is frozen. This is indicated in the product description that these prawns are frozen as well as the origin of catch. There is no fresh prawn fishery in Cape Town. This product is the best we can currently find that adheres to our beliefs and quality. This wild caught product is exceptionally tasty, frozen at sea to lock in the goodness and wild caught free of additives. The fishery is also undergoing improvement. I hope this assists you in future decision making with regards to prawns. regards Ryan
Big and tasty prawns at great price! Highly recommended!