East Coast Sole | Frozen Box | Wild caught | x12
LOCALLY SOURCED SOLE
Sole is highly regarded by chefs for its fine, buttery texture, easy filleting, and mild flavour, which gives it a lot of versatility in the kitchen. The delicate flavour means sole works beautifully with a wide variety of culinary styles and flavours. Our sole is caught by local fishermen off the coast of Mossel Bay on the south east coast.
12 x Dressed Baby Soles (2x Packs of 6) (Approx. 1000g per box, 80-100g per sole)
Your East Coast Soles will arrive frozen with 2 packs of 6 soles in a pack for convenience. Simply store in your freezer (up to 6 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost (do not thaw under vacuum/pressure), simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
There is no shying away from the fact that any fishing that disturbs the ocean bed has a negative ecological effect, and this is also true for sole. To help mitigate this we source our sole from local fisheries on the east coast where the smaller industry does less harm, while also creating needed jobs. Furthermore, local sourcing means the carbon footprint of the sole is much lower than imported alternatives.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium high
GEAR USED : Inshore trawl
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 500km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Low
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Granny Filly’s Crumbed Soles
A delicious family recipe from The Fishwife. Passed down through generations, and now on to you. You will need:
- Sole Fillets (2-3 per person)
- Cornflake Crumbs (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE)
- Salt & Pepper
- Shards of butter (Keep butter refrigerated)
- If you are using frozen sole fillets, you can allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Soak the soles in milk for approximately 2 hours. I use a bread tin for this as I find it to be the perfect size.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and grease with Spray and Cook.
- Remove the soles from the milk and allow to drip dry before placing on the baking tray.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cornflake crumbs generously over the fillets. Use your finger or the back of a spoon to evenly coat.
- Slice thin shards of butter and space evenly over the fillets (make sure you are using refrigerated butter in order to cut your shards easily).
- Switch the grill on to low and place the tray under the grill for approximately 2 minutes allowing the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has melted remove from the oven and add extra shards of butter to any areas that have been missed and that remain dry.
- Place the tray back under the grill, this time on a medium heat setting on the second shelf from the top.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crumbs should be a nice golden colour.
- Turn the fillets over and repeat the seasoning and crumbing process.
- Grill for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with your choice of sides.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Love It Every Time
Soles are so simple to cook and delicious. Promptly delivered and accessibly packed. They’re a hit in my home. Thank you Greenfish!
Box of 12 soles
Very nicely skinned and side boned but rather small. However fresh and tasted good thank you.
East Coast Sole
I ate it in the pan. I have not had fresh sole for a very long time. The last time I had one, I swore that I will never buy inland sole...tasteless. Until last week...Wow!!! Wow!!! Took me back long ago, when we had fresh fish inland...not fish that been lying in the freezers for 10 years! Your sole is fresh. Thanks Greenfish, will definitely buy again and again!
a fish treat
I did mine in an airfryer lined with tinfoil. A blob of butter on each one and lemon juice. The tinfoil retains the liquid making a delicious sauce. Cooking in a matter of a few minutes!
Always a winner in our house.
Super easy to make a quick delicious sole meunière for dinner!
we found the fish expensive but it was a special gift so we are grateful to have had the opportunity to use your service. We have not eaten the fish yet but it looks good ! Overall it was a very useful service - prompt delivery and what looks like a great product. Just jolly pricey so we would not be able to use it again.
As usual, very fresh fish was delivered on a timely basis, we enjoyed the sole very much. We are new to South Africa and found them a bit small as compared to others from other parts of the world but the flavor was delicious and cooked with a light cream sauce. Would buy again!
Perfect Birthday meal!
My mother-in-law absolutely loves soles. It was her birthday yesterday and we served her sole meunière. Very easy to cook cleaned soles, and we all loved them! Thanks Greenfish!
Frozen east coast soles - excellent
Tasty and delicious
East Coast Sole
The service was excellent & fish was beautifully packed. I have not used any of it yet, but ordered from Green Fish because of my past experience with their delicious soles & kingklip!
The fish was excellent and tasted amazing. Such a treat. I've struggled to get decent sole and a very reasonable price for years now and this was a dream come true. Thank you.
Frozen Box East Coast Sole
Individually wrapped. Correct temperature on delivery. Great quality. Service above expectations.
Premium Quality Excellent Service
Wow! Delicious, “well-dressed”, excellently packaged Sole. Definitely on my next shopping list.
Just incredible good and fast in delivery! Products super fresh and delicious! Worth every penny
An absolute treat!!!
Not as fresh as ones bought before
Good communication! Super fresh products! Well packed! Excellent service! Thanks!
Use plenty of butter!
Not the same as our european dover soles, but a good size, properly cleaned and if you prepare the soles dont forget to use plenty of butter, and finish off with some lime!
Great Box to have in freezer