East Coast Sole | Frozen Box | Wild caught | x12
LOCALLY SOURCED SOLE
Sole is highly regarded by chefs for its fine, buttery texture, easy filleting, and mild flavour, which gives it a lot of versatility in the kitchen. The delicate flavour means sole works beautifully with a wide variety of culinary styles and flavours. Our sole is caught by local fishermen off the coast of Mossel Bay on the south east coast.
12 x Dressed Baby Soles (2x Packs of 6) (Approx. 1200g per box, 90-110g per sole)
Your box will arrive frozen with 2 packs of 6 soles in a pack for convenience. Simply store in your freezer (up to 6 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost (do not thaw under vacuum/pressure), simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
There is no shying away from the fact that any fishing that disturbs the ocean bed has a negative ecological effect, and this is also true for sole. To help mitigate this we source our sole from local fisheries on the east coast where the smaller industry does less harm, while also creating needed jobs. Furthermore, local sourcing means the carbon footprint of the sole is much lower than imported alternatives.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium high
GEAR USED : Inshore trawl
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 500km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Low
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Granny Filly’s Crumbed Soles
A delicious family recipe from The Fishwife. Passed down through generations, and now on to you. You will need:
- Sole Fillets (2-3 per person)
- Cornflake Crumbs (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE)
- Salt & Pepper
- Shards of butter (Keep butter refrigerated)
- If you are using frozen sole fillets, you can allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Soak the soles in milk for approximately 2 hours. I use a bread tin for this as I find it to be the perfect size.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and grease with Spray and Cook.
- Remove the soles from the milk and allow to drip dry before placing on the baking tray.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cornflake crumbs generously over the fillets. Use your finger or the back of a spoon to evenly coat.
- Slice thin shards of butter and space evenly over the fillets (make sure you are using refrigerated butter in order to cut your shards easily).
- Switch the grill on to low and place the tray under the grill for approximately 2 minutes allowing the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has melted remove from the oven and add extra shards of butter to any areas that have been missed and that remain dry.
- Place the tray back under the grill, this time on a medium heat setting on the second shelf from the top.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crumbs should be a nice golden colour.
- Turn the fillets over and repeat the seasoning and crumbing process.
- Grill for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with your choice of sides.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
A mouth watering culinary experience and good value for money
Very delicious fish. Definitely worth having some in the freezer for an easy tasty meal. Reliable service from Greenfish, as always. Will definitely be stocking up again in future.
We appreciate the quality of the fish and the service very much! Thanks a lot
From ordering to delivery was seamless. The sole was so delicate, so delicious, I have been recommending it to anyone who will listen!
The best thing about your fish is it is consistently spanking fresh. That is the mos important thing to me. Well done
The fish is really good, the quality and freshness is not something you can find in Woolies or any other main street shop. I do however want to recommend that you divide the pack of Sole into smaller batches of 2 rather than freezing all 8 together. It leaves me to defrost them all and thus I need to eat sole 8 meals in a row as I cannot re-freeze the fish again. Would just help a lot.
Love these sole! Just a delicious product Super efficient & excellent service from the Green team.
As with all my previous orders the fish is fresh and delicious. I marinated steaks in soy sauce for 2 hours then coated in black and white sesame seeds and seared.
Excellent product at a reasonable price. I would personally prefer 3 x 4 packs rather than 2 x 6, but that is a minor
Lovely product, clean and tasty. Cooked it with champagne sauce and steamed vegetables.
Defrosted the sole and made Sole Meuniere. It was delicious! Will definitely be ordering again.
The Soles were fresh and tasted incredible.
Prepared simply with lemon butter and almond flakes accompanied by garden fresh spinach and a salad
Fabulous order - swift delivery! Thanks Team Greenfish
I was disappointed that the sole were frozen into 2x 6-packs. I would only want to use 2 at a time but will need to defrost all 6? I’d like to recommend that they are individually wrapped? I haven’t tried them yet, so can’t comment on the taste!
Hi Hazel, thank you for your feed back. In the description of the product it is specified how the soles are packed. I like your idea of individually packaged, however this would increase our plastic usage. We appreciate you wanting to use 2 at a time, and will add this to our notes for future product development. thank you
These were so easy to cook, just one big bone which was easily removed but the flavour is delicious.
Good service, fresh product well packaged
Excellent presentation and taste. Sole almondine with parmesan crusted potatoes and fresh green salad with avocado and raspberry vinaigrette dressing
Nice size and full of flavour.
Amazing amazing Quality. We have been craving good , fresh seafood for the past year and this did not disappoint. This was my first purchase and the service level, speed of delivery is remarkable. Will def not be my last order !! Thank you for bringing restaurant quality food to our homes, at an affordable price !!!