Abalone (perlemoen) | Live Box | Cultivated | x6
A RARE BOUNTY OF FLAVOUR
Known for its buttery, salty taste, and slightly chewy texture (in a good way, think calamari steaks) abalone is a highly sought-after seafood. This desirability has led to populations being severely depleted, and as recently as 2010 Abalone was listed as an endangered species with demand from the far east and invader species depleting the populations on the South African coastline. While still targeted by poaching syndicates and highly regulated by the government and watchdogs, the growth of aquaculture has meant that more and more South Africans have been able to try this delicacy. Abalone takes about a decade to reach a harvestable age and this slow growth contributes to the pressure on the population. All our abalone is sustainably sourced from farms in Hermanus.
6 x Whole Abalone with Shell (approx. 90 - 110g per abalone)
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge, and use at your leisure (up to 2 days).
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
The only sustainable way to source abalone is through aquaculture, and abalone should never be purchased from other sources. Our abalone comes from farms in Hermanus which use recirculating tanks to grow this rare sea snail. The feed used consists mostly of seaweed and is also sustainably sourced, while seaweed cultures are used to help purify the circulating water
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Very low
GEAR USED : Aquaculture
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 100km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Very high
Abalone in Panko Crumbs
Because of regulations and scarcity, many may wonder how to prepare this delicacy, luckily The Fishwife is here with a serving suggestion. You will need:
- 6 fresh abalone
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups panko crumbs
- 1 egg
- 50g butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Clean abalone with a vegetable brush thoroughly to remove any black residue.
- Pat dry with paper towel.
- Slice abalone into thin rounds (I managed to get about 2-3 slices from each abalone).
- Using a meat mallet, pound the abalone until tender.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Dip abalone slices into the flour mixture, coating evenly and set aside in a separate dish.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the panko crumbs into a bowl and set aside.
- Dip the flour coated abalone into the egg mixture and then into the panko crumb mixture and place coated pieces into a separate bowl for frying later.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan on a high heat and wait until its bubbling.
- Fry the panko coated abalone slices in the pan for 2-3 minutes a side until nice and golden.
- Remove from the pan and place on paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve with pink sauce (2 Tbsp Mayo, 1 Tbsp Tomato Sauce, 1 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce, 1 Tbsp Chutney)
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Very happy with the quality of green fish products, always fresh fish, same day delivery. You’re the best
Brilliant service and great product
Such a treat to experience such fresh incredible seafood. Greenfish supplies the freshest seafood in CPT. Thank you Greenfish for fantastic service as per usual! My favourite seafood supplier :)
It was great to receive the live abelone, and even though they were on the small side, it was still really tasty.
Super fresh and tasty.
Third time buying it. Exceptional quality, something to enjoy on your own.
Excellent as per usual!
My second time ordering live pearlies from Greenfish, absolutely incredible. They arrived, well packaged and extremely fresh / alive. Thank you for the great service, I wont be ordering anywhere else! Your products always impress my guests, thank you.
Excellent quality products
High end quality seafood products sold here for an affordable price, wont buy anywhere else!
Prefer wild but will probably buy it again
Hi H, currently wild stocks are under heavy pressure. We have worked hard to bring fresh abalone back to the SA home. Farmed is currently the best practice we see at this stage. have a wonderful day
We haven't had abalone in more than 20 years. I could only find tinned ones and have been looking for live abalone now for a long time. Then I discovered Greenfish. Their abalone was small, but still alive when it was delivered. Amazing! And delicious! I will definitely order from them again.
My box arrived soon after I placed the order, still alive, easy to clean and tasty, I prepared it a few different ways including sashimi. They were a bit on the small side. I had 6 in the box. George
Abalone and Yellowtail
Delivery was speedy as always. The fish is so fresh can't wait for the weekend to braai it. The abalone was packaged well. It's my third time purchasing it. yummy!! Not to be shared!
Excellent quality. Fresh and a good size for the price.
Product is always fresh and service is really good. The abalone however was smaller this time round compared to the first time I bought. But overall it’s really good!!
I've been wanting too try perlemoen for ages but what with their surrounding controversy, it seemed impossible. Enter Greenfish with farmed abalone, cultivated along our very own coastline. For a first-timer, the perlemoen were manageably sized and after some online research I was able to easily prep them for my recipe. 10/10 would recommend this beautiful univalve to any seafood-lover!
Excellent quality and impressive service thank you
By far one of the best foodservice providers in SA!!!
Ryan!!! By far one of the best foodservice providers in SA!!!
Super quick delivery Quality was magic Will recommend any day