Monk Fish Tails | x1 | Frozen box | Caught off Cape Point
Monk tail is well know as a mock crayfish, its delicate flavours and hardy texture make it great in a curry or simply on its own. They have been locally caught by fishermen departing from Cape Town harbour, fishing in the cool deep waters of the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Point. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x clean frozen monk fish tail on the bone ( +_1.3-1.5kg per box)
Your clean Monkfish tails will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost, simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Demersal longline
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 50km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Low
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
You will need:
- 4 Monkfish tails
- 50g butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 400g flat mushrooms, stalks removed, caps thinly sliced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, stalks removed, caps thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 100ml Maderia wine
- 375ml good-quality chicken stock
- 1/4 bunch of thyme, tied with a string
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 50ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- For the sauce, heat half of the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallots, garlic and a pinch each of sea salt and pepper and cook for about 7 minutes until soft. Add the Madeira and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it has a syrupy consistency, then add the stock, thyme and dried porcini mushrooms and summer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove the thyme stalks and transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor. Blitz until smooth, pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and add the cream. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the butter over high heat in a frying pan large enough to fit the monkfish tails. Once it’s foaming, season the monkfish liberally with salt, then place into the hot butter. Brown the tails all over for about 5 minutes in total, then transfer to a roasting dish. Pour the butter over the top and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn the tails over and cook for a further 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Turn the heat on the oven up to 220C. Squeeze the lemon juice over the monkfish and place back in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in a separate large frying pan. When hot, add the mushrooms, season well and cook over high heat for about 10 minutes (you might have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan).
- Carve the monkfish either by using a serrated knife, and cutting across the bone, or by slicing down either side of the bone and portion accordingly. Serve the fillets atop the mushrooms and smother with the sauce.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
The monkfish was so delicious..I made it in a Malay curry. I marinate it for 2hours in masala. It was firm, fresh and tasty..
Speedy fresh delivery
Very impressed with the service - arrived a lot faster than anticipated and the team were awesome on chasing me down to get our delivery collected and the monkfish was delicious.
Monk Fish Tails
Fantastic! Used it in a Bouillabaisse Speedy delivery and excellent quality fish.
Never ordered fish online before and was rather reluctant doing it, but was desperate has there was a shortage of Monk Fish at the regular fish outlets and needed it for a Hibachi diner for friends. The fish arrived the next day and fully frozen as promised, was taste and exactly what I wanted and expected. Thanks!
Very delicious… nice to have a variety of sizes in the pack, so could cater for different people!
Monk fish tails
Fantastic, ultrafast delivery thank you
Monkfish - love it!!!!!!!!!!
Good,but one was small , the other beautiful white meat and bigger
Monk Fish Tails
They looked in perfect condition. We used them in in a bouillabaisse and they were great.
Your fish is always excellent
You are the best supplier of fish in CT that we have come across. Great selection. Wild caught. Fresh tasting. Well packed and prompt delivery.
5/5 monk fish tails x4 frozen box caught off cape point
Excellent quality product and amazing service
Amazing response time to me placing my order. Fresh product, like it was just caught topped with the best service. Will definitely be shopping again soon.
First Purchase from Greenfish
This was our first purchase from Greenfish, being less than satisfied with some other purveyors. I was very happy with the quality of the fish as well as packaging and delivery time frame (next day). Looking forward to some great cuisine.
Monk Fish Tails
Absolutely excellent service and SO happy with the monk fish. Best quality I've ordered so far. I will not order from any other supplier again. Thank you so much for the speedy delivery!
Fresh, meaty fish
Very meaty fish, have tried various ways of making it, covered in bacon is defintely a winner. Absolutely lovely
Beautiful Monkfish Tails
Thank you so much Greenfish for the delivery yesterday. The service, the delivery and of course, the monkfish were all wonderful. I actually have some tails currently marinating, ready for a late afternoon lunch. Thank you for the brilliant service, beautiful fish and for making all this fresh seafood, caught locally available to us.
Monkfish tails frozen
Dear Ryan, I love monkfish and could not get it anywhere around Stellenbosch. Then I saw your advertisement - halleluja!!! I prepare it in several ways, you can even make a ceviche - because the meat is nutty, fresh!! Just take the skin off and you get beautiful filets. The internet is full of recipes and I am so thankful that I got it ( I think I bought eight in the meantime)at your company. All the fish in my last order looks good and was delivered by a friendly young man in no time after ordering. I do not mind frozen fish as we live in Stellenbosch and we do not buy things everyday. Will you have crayfish tales again, just the tales? Kind regards The chef of the family Ursula Ehrhardt
Monk fish tails
Monkfish Goan curry
Used this together with a few prawns to make a superb curry. Had only previously used fresh monkfish, but I found no different, just required a gentle cook once the curry sauce had been made. It was superb, will definitely buy again