Frozen box | Monk Fish Tails | x4 | Caught off Cape Point
Monk tail is well know as a mock crayfish, its delicate flavours and hardy texture make it great in a curry or simply on its own. They have been locally caught by fishermen departing from Cape Town harbour, fishing in the cool deep waters of the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Point. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
4 x clean frozen monk fish tail on the bone ( +_1.3-1.5kg per box)
Your box will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost, simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Demersal longline
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 50km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Low
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
You will need:
- 4 Monkfish tails
- 50g butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 400g flat mushrooms, stalks removed, caps thinly sliced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, stalks removed, caps thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 100ml Maderia wine
- 375ml good-quality chicken stock
- 1/4 bunch of thyme, tied with a string
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 50ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- For the sauce, heat half of the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallots, garlic and a pinch each of sea salt and pepper and cook for about 7 minutes until soft. Add the Madeira and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it has a syrupy consistency, then add the stock, thyme and dried porcini mushrooms and summer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove the thyme stalks and transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor. Blitz until smooth, pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and add the cream. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the butter over high heat in a frying pan large enough to fit the monkfish tails. Once it’s foaming, season the monkfish liberally with salt, then place into the hot butter. Brown the tails all over for about 5 minutes in total, then transfer to a roasting dish. Pour the butter over the top and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn the tails over and cook for a further 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Turn the heat on the oven up to 220C. Squeeze the lemon juice over the monkfish and place back in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in a separate large frying pan. When hot, add the mushrooms, season well and cook over high heat for about 10 minutes (you might have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan).
- Carve the monkfish either by using a serrated knife, and cutting across the bone, or by slicing down either side of the bone and portion accordingly. Serve the fillets atop the mushrooms and smother with the sauce.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
I have bought several items from Greenfish over the past 9 months or so and I have never been disappointed. This time it was the Monk Fish tails and Octopus, the Octopus (first time I have had it) was larger than expected (half a Kraken if I am not mistaken) done the Fish Wife way and was delicious. The Monk Fish I cut into chunks, wrapped in pancetta, put on a skewer and then on the braai and just a squeeze of lemon, it needs nothing else as it is so good.
Perfectly cleaned and frozen and delivered the next day as promised. Needed nothing more than to be thawed and then used directly in a delicious monkfish thermidor recipe. I'll be back for more!
What an amazing product, taste is out of this world.