Fresh box | Red Stumpnose | Caught in Struisbaai
This fish has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x Red Stumpnose ( +_1200g-1300g per fish )
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
"Linefishery - Red stumpnose are caught using traditional linefish methods consisting of a rod and reel or handline. The linefishing industry often operates from small ski- and deck. Linefishing is a relatively selective fishing method with few impacts on the marine environment and very little accidental bycatch." SASSI webpage
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Whole Fish on the Braai
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- Whole Red Stumpnose (or any whole small fish)
- 1 x Red Onion
- 1 big handful of Coriander
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp chopped Chilli
- 2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Lemon
- Scale the Red Stumpnose if not already done. An easy way to do this is by pulling a fork against the grain which will take the scales off.
- Make sure your fish is gutted and the cavity is nice and clean.
- Score the skin of the fish to allow the flavours of your marinade to infuse into the meat.
- Chop the red onion and coriander and fill the cavity of the fish
- Grate some lemon rind into the cavity. Set the lemon aside for later.
- Mix together the garlic, chilli, ginger and soy sauce and use this to coat the fish (pour and rub half the mixture over the fish, keeping remaining half for basting throughout the cooking process).
- Place fish in a braai grid which has a handle and can close and be turned easily.
- Cook the whole fish over medium coals for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes so that the skin doesn't burn. Using a basting brush, paint the fish with the marinade with every flip.
- The fish is done when the eyes are white and the skin has pulled tight. If you take a fork and pull the meat from the back bone, it should pull away easily.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
It felt I had just reeled the fish in..biggest catch I've taken..bragged to my friends about the biggest fish I had caught..ever..thank you Green Fish
My husband and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary with a delicious seafood meal of which the Red Stumpnose and live black mussels was a special part. Very unique flavour and delicious. Thanks again for the amazing fresh produce and speedy delivery. We will be recommending you to all our friends and family.
I cannot believe this amazing service and the MOST amazing Red Stumpnose. The “whole” fish is absolutely beautiful (with the freshest, brightest eyes) and will be such a privilege to cook and have for a special evening. Thank you so much Greenfish, this on-line opportunity to be able to order and receive fresh fish delivered to our door is wonderful. We ordered at about 15.30, see your email below, we received the delivery at about 16.00!!! You have secured a long term, loyal customer.
Always a pleasure with Greenfish! Delivery fast and fish excellent!!
Speedy delivery, excellent service, and the fish and other items was just perfect. PLEASE keep it up and do not compromise in future.
A HUGE thank you for the beautiful stumpnose I ordered and received yesterday. It was absolutely divine!! My husband cannot stop talking about it - it really was the best fish we’ve ever had at home. My husband has recommended the company to a lot of his friends and family - one friend has already placed an order for 4 various boxes having seen just the pics of our fish! The same-day service (if orders are placed by 11am) is absolutely fantastic as well as the box, ice pack and the packaging of the fish itself. It was the first time I purchased yesterday but definitely not the last!
This is the second time that we have ordered Stumpnose from Greenfish. Both times they have been incredibly fresh (you could literally smell the ocean on them) and so delicious once cooked whole on the BBQ. It's probably the best fish that I have ever had. No exaggeration.
Once again phoned Ryan when i saw that Red Stumpnose had been caught late Thursday afternoon in Struisbaai This was at 9 30am Friday morning at 2 00pm it arrived at our Gate here in Kommetjie Fresh Fresh Delicious had it on the Braii at 7 00pm Friday Evening You could not wish for better that that ***