Red Stumpnose | Fresh Fish Box | Caught in Struisbaai
This Red Stumpnose has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x Red Stumpnose ( +-1000g - 1200g per fish )
*or 2 x Red Stumpnose ( +-1200g combined weight )
Your Red Stumpnose will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
"Linefishery - Red stumpnose are caught using traditional linefish methods consisting of a rod and reel or handline. The linefishing industry often operates from small ski- and deck. Linefishing is a relatively selective fishing method with few impacts on the marine environment and very little accidental bycatch." SASSI webpage
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Whole Fish on the Braai
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- Whole Red Stumpnose (or any whole small fish)
- 1 x Red Onion
- 1 big handful of Coriander
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp chopped Chilli
- 2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Lemon
- Scale the Red Stumpnose if not already done. An easy way to do this is by pulling a fork against the grain which will take the scales off.
- Make sure your fish is gutted and the cavity is nice and clean.
- Score the skin of the fish to allow the flavours of your marinade to infuse into the meat.
- Chop the red onion and coriander and fill the cavity of the fish
- Grate some lemon rind into the cavity. Set the lemon aside for later.
- Mix together the garlic, chilli, ginger and soy sauce and use this to coat the fish (pour and rub half the mixture over the fish, keeping remaining half for basting throughout the cooking process).
- Place fish in a braai grid which has a handle and can close and be turned easily.
- Cook the whole fish over medium coals for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes so that the skin doesn't burn. Using a basting brush, paint the fish with the marinade with every flip.
- The fish is done when the eyes are white and the skin has pulled tight. If you take a fork and pull the meat from the back bone, it should pull away easily.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
The fish to buy for a braai!
Lovely portions. Super cleaned. ready to pop on a braai. What a lovely fish!
As usual, everything was perfect. From ordering through to the braaing of the fish. Tastewise - it was absolutely delicious. I really cannot even think of buying fresh fish elsewhere
Red Stumpnose fresh fish box
Without a doubt the very best quality and freshest fish from Greenfish. You guys are excellent
Red stump nose
Excellent on the grill
The Stumpnose was great on the braai. The meat was moist and firm. The fish was fresh maintaining its natural flavours. I order immediately when it is available, it is sold out within in hours.
Incredibly fresh, delicious fish!
I am blown away by the efficient, prompt service and the accuracy of the received order versus what is seen online. The stump nose looked exactly as pictured and was as fresh as can be. So was the tuna. It’s fantastic to find suppliers who value their natural resources, their customers, their environmental impact and supply a great quality product. I’ll be back!
Red stump nose
Wonderful fish great service
Fantastic service as always and fresh out the sea. Received 2 fish and one was a bit small but that’s on me as I should have requested one large instead.
Great experience as always
Delivery is super efficient. This fish was amazingand super fresh. Can't wait to order it again.
fresh, flakey and tasty
We buy fish from Green fish quite often and have come to rely on their prompt delivery of a great product. We have not been disappointed yet. The Stomp Nose was fresh and tasted like it had come from the ocean that morning.
Very Fresh and sooo delicious. Great Quality.
fresh - delivered quickly thank you
I should have read better, got a whole fish, which I had to fillet myself, but enjoyed it in the end. Top quality fresh fish, though.
So fresh and sliced perfectly as instructed. Just a bit smaller than I expected.
After not having the Stumpnose for a long time, it was good to make friends with an old favourite whilst on holiday in Simonstown. It was very fresh it and tasted delicious. The fish was top class prepared on the Braai.
Excellent personalized service
Not forgetting to add that the fish was super fresh and delicious. Thanks Ryan & the Green Fish team.
Beautiful fish, fresh and clean. Fast and speedy delivery. Exceptional quality. Taste amazing! Rating 5 star... Top restaurant quality! Yummy!