Silver Fish | Fresh Fish Box | Caught in Struisbaai
These fish has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
2 x Whole Silver Fish ( +_950g-1450g per fish )
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
"Linefishing, South Africa - Traditional linefishing uses rod and reel or handline equipment operated from small skiboats and deckboats. Linefishing is a relatively selective fishing method with few impacts on the marine environment and little incidental bycatch." SASSI webpage
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Crispy Skinned Fish
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- 2 Greenfish Fish Fillets (for this recipe I used Silver Fish)
- 1 Block of Butter (500g)
- Fine Table Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic
- handful of Parsley
- TO MAKE THE CLARIFIED BUTTER: place your butter in a glass jug or bowl and leave in a sunny spot to melt on its own.
- Once the butter has melted it will separate, the clear liquid on the top is your clarified butter. Either scoop this clear liquid butter out with a spoon or syringe or pour through a muslin cloth. I only had a fine sieve, so I used this and it worked out ok. Put in a separate dish to use for this recipe and keep the leftovers in the fridge as it's great to have some readily available for future use.
- PREPARING & FRYING YOUR FISH: Place your filleted, pin boned and scaled fillets flat on a board or plate. (You can use our recipes on how to fillet and scale fish if your fish fillets still have these attached).
- Score your fillets 1mm deep from the back to tummy of the fish (refer to pictures in this recipe which display the correct direction to score)
- Dry your fillets with paper towel on both sides until all the moisture has been removed.
- Five minutes before frying, season on both sides with fine table salt, this will allow any further moisture to be absorbed.
- Heat your pan to a medium high heat and add a generous amount of clarified butter.
- Place your fillets in the pan skin side down and use a plate to weight them down to avoid them from curling upwards.
- Cook the fillets until they are about 80% cooked through.
- Turn the fillets over and cook for the remaining 20% to finish off.
- Brush with your garlic and parsley butter before serving.
- TO MAKE THE GARLIC AND PARSLEY BUTTER: In a small pot on the stove add 1/3 cup of Clarified Butter, 1 teaspoon of Garlic and your handful of chopped Parsley.
- Melt together on a medium heat ensuring that the pot doesn't get too hot as cooking at too high a heat will kill off your delicious garlic flavours.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Delicious and very fresh. I pan fried my fish. Service is amazing.
Hi Ryan Thanks for prompting this review. It was something I discussed doing with my family & then life carried on. Firstly, every time I order from you guys, I am amazed at how easy the process is and how quickly and efficiently you respond to an order. It feels like I have just ordered from you and the courier is at my gate with a delivery! I have never had Silverfish before and your deal prompted me to try it. When I opened the box I couldn’t believe how fresh those fish looked - clear eyes and no fish smell when I opened the bags. The first batch we did in the oven with a walnut & herb mix and the result was insane. The fish is really delicate in texture so I am glad I kept it simple. The next batch, we filleted them and cold smoked them on the weber, then we flashed them with some hot flames and added our bits and pieces. WOW!!! What a win. I am still a lover of a firmer fish like yellowtail, but this was a great experience from beginning to end. You are the only company we buy fish from now, so continue delivering the exceptional quality. Thanks Ryan!
10, really great and neat
The fish was so delicious. Excellent delivery and packaging. I baked the fish with an Asian fusion of flavor. The taste was so amazing. It's not my first time eating this fish but the taste was out of this world. Also the Red Roman fish i made with a thai red curry paste and added some prawns, so delicious! 5 Star rating.
fresh cleaned ready to cook what a pleasure THANK You
I swear this fish was still swimming when I got it. Pan fried some today and even my fussy daughter enjoyed it. Perfectly packed per my request as well
excellent very good experience all round
Such a treat to receive fish so fresh that it smells of the ocean, but without even having to leave the house! Each pack contained two large, plump fish which were perfectly gutted and scaled. Great quality and a plus that these are locally caught in a sustainable way. I have ordered from Greenfish multiple times and I continue to be impressed by their products and service, without fail. From the user-friendly online ordering system, to the professional and friendly delivery team (and, of course, the impeccable quality of the seafood) Greenfish can't be beat.
Quality of produce as well as service was excellent as always. Very happy :)
The fish was very tender with a mild and pleasant taste
Great quality and service.
It was wonderful to be able to buy local fish fresh and receive it the same day!
Absolutely fresh and large. Good value for money
10/10 i ordered at 14:00 and on the braai at 18;00 same day. Fish was great thank you
The fish arrived neatly packed and vacuum sealed. It was amazingly fresh. Although I requested to have it cut into pieces with the bone intact, it came filleted. Nevertheless I will try and give clearer instructions the next time. I made a fish curry nevertheless (which I why I wanted bone intact as it keeps the fish from falling apart). I used the fillets which still turned out beautiful as it was very fresh. Will definitely buy again, but will emphasize how I need it prepared.
Lip-smacking good. Shared with my sister who hasn't had fresh fish since lockdown started. Excellent quality.
Amazing as always !