Fresh box | Monk Fish Tails | Caught off Cape Point
Monk tail is well know as a mock crayfish, its delicate flavours and hardy texture make it great in a curry or simply on its own. It has been locally caught by fishermen departing from Cape Town harbour, fishing in the cool deep waters of the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Point. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x clean Monk fish tail on the bone ( +_750g-950g per box)
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Demersal longline
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 50km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : Low
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Fresh Monkfish Tail
You will need:
- 800gr monkfish tail on the bone, all sinew removed and rubbed with garlic
- 2 large shallots, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 red peppers, finely sliced
- 2 Green peppers, finely sliced
- 4 tomatoes, extremely ripe and chopped into small cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- ½ Cup of dry white wine
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- In a medium sized sauce pan, gently warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and cook slowly until it begins to jump, add the shallots, peppers and chilli and cook gently for 10 minutes until very soft.
- Add the white wine and reduce slightly on a higher heat, add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes, you might need to add some water if the tomatoes are not too ripe.
- In a roasting tin, heat the remaining oil and fry the monkfish tail until fully browned on all sides - about three minutes on each side, season with sea salt.
- Pour in the piperade sauce and make sure the fish is half covered with the sauce. Place the tin in a preheated oven at 200˚C and roast for 10 minutes, make sure you keep on basting the fish with the sauce and half way through turn the fish over.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with a bowl of sauté potatoes
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
The last time I had fresh monk fish is 25 years ago, while I was living on the west coast. Cooked fish curry with this order, yummilicious. Liked my fingers.
Great taste. One of my favourites
The monkfish was fantastic! Have only tasted it in restaurants until now and it was great to cook it at home. A substantial fillet of fish, thick and juicy with lots of flavour.
I was so excited to learn how to prepare and cook this super fresh monkfish. It was so worth the purchase. Thank you!
Enjoy the taste of the Monk Fish and quite unusual. Loving using Greenfish, they are very efficient the products are packed beautifully, i cannot praise you enough 10/10.