Kabeljou Fillets | Fresh Fish Box | Wild caught
CAUGHT ONE AT A TIME, WITH A HAND LINE
Also known as Cape Kob or Silver Kob, the kabeljou is a fish whose population has been severely impacted by unsustainable fishing practices. When served fresh the kabeljou features succulent and firm flesh and very few bones, which makes it perfect for home preparation. We only stock kabeljou that is caught one at a time with a pole and line as this is the lowest impact way of harvesting this fish.
2 x Kob Fillets (approx. 900g - 1200g per box)*
1 x larger Kob fillet cut in half and vacuum packed separately (approx. 900g - 1200g per box)*
*product spec may vary depending on the size of the fish we have caught
Your Kabeljou Fillets will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge, and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months. The kob’s flesh colour may change when frozen and some flavour loss will occur.
*pin bones are in
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
The kabeljou has been severely overfished with populations at 10% of sustainable levels. Because of this we do not stock any kabeljou that has been caught using trawling or long lines, instead sourcing our fish from handline fishermen in Struisbaai where they are caught one at a time for the lowest possible impact. We also do not support the harvesting and sale of milk kob , stocker kob, soapies or small kob (juvenile kob). – those are undersize, we have a legal size limit of 50cm
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Parmesan Crumbed Kob
If you’re wondering how to prepare your kabeljou, then wonder no longer. The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- 1 x Kob fillet, skin on
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 20g melted butter
- Salt & pepper
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- Remove the fish from packaging and pat dry with paper towel on both sides.
- Line a baking tray with foil and grease with Spray & Cook.
- Place the fillet on the foil skin down.
- Spoon the mustard onto the fish and spread evenly so that the entire fillet is coated.
- Season the fillet with salt and pepper.
- In a separate dish combine the parmesan, panko crumbs, parsley, garlic and melted butter to make the crumb topping.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the fish until the entire fillet is coated.
- Place the fish in the oven on a medium grill on the highest rack for approximately 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Keep an eye on the fish so as not to let the crumbs burn. If the crumb topping is burning, drop the fish to the middle rack and cook for a few minutes extra.
- Serve with lemon mayonnaise: in a small dish combine the mayonnaise with the juice of 1 lemon, stir and enjoy!
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
As always green fish delivers an excellent service and the freshest fish in town I baste kabeljou filets with Malden Salt, lemon juice and butter and cook under grill for 12 minutes.
What a blessing to get wild caught Kabeljou so efficiently and graciously delivered.
Excellent fish caught wild
Excellent fish, excellent service with same day delivery
Excellent. Fresh and tasty
Fantastic quality and service
Servive is always top notch. The cob was fantastic. Was expensive for 1 fillet though which couldn't feed more than 4 people.
Super fresh! Made a subtle thai green curry sauce and poached the fillet in the sauce. The guests loved the meal!!
Fantastic Service and great Kabeljou
Excellent service and product.
Best product best service
As always the products and service was outstanding
Super quality with efficient service
outstanding fresh product
Braaid these fresh fillets last night. Delicious, couldn’t have asked for better.
Perfect on the braai. Could not have asked for better quality!
Delicious! Very fresh and well packaged.
Pan fried Kabeljou
Beautiful, firm Kabeljou…. My favourite fish! Simply pan fried in butter with salt, & pepper and served with a salad , this delicious fish is so tasty it needs nothing else added.
The freshest and most delicious Kabeljou. Always such a privilege to receive the Greenfish box on same day order. Thank you to all who make it possible to receive this sustainably caught fresh fish.
A fantastic experience
Fantastic, can’t believe how fresh and delicious it was. Braaid it for New Year’s Eve. Nailed it and our guests adored it. Thankyou.
Fresh and delicious I seasoned mine with salt , lemon and butter and grilled in oven for 15 minutes.
Fresh Box; Kabeljou Fillets
Very impressed with quality. Made a Parmesan crusted fillet last night - delicious was an understatement!