Crayfish Tails | Large | Frozen Box | Wild Caught | x10
THE ICONIC WEST COAST FAVOURITE
The west coast rock lobster is endemic to the west coast of South Africa and is a truly iconic seafood favourite all along the coast. Whether they are steamed, grilled or braaied there is no denying their deliciousness. Unfortunately, this coupled with the longevity and slow growth of the species has led to severe overfishing which has depleted the population. That is why we only source our crayfish from licensed cray fisherman who comply with the stringent harvesting restrictions imposed on this delicious crustacean.
10 x Large Crayfish tails
Each unit is 90-100g (Box size 950g - 1kg)
Your box will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost, simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
The west coast rock lobster populations are currently under pressure and we only source ours from licensed fishermen who harvest legally against strict quotas and size limits that have been issued by the department of fisheries. They are also offloaded under the watchful eye of the departments inspectors they weigh and record all stock harvested. The style of harvest by ring nets/traps is very selective and has almost no by catch and causes little to no damage on bottom habitats.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Ring net
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 100km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Braaied Crayfish Tails with Butter
Crayfish is very easy to prepare on the braai, usually only needing a bit of butter, but this recipe adds three flavoured butters to the mix. You will need:
- 8 Greenfish Crayfish Tails
- 250g butter, melted.
- 2 anchovies, chopped
- handful black olives, chopped.
- handful fresh mixed soft herbs (mint, basil and parsley).
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed.
- large pinch saffron.
- large pinch chilli flakes/fresh chilli, sliced.
- Fire up the braai and get it to a medium heat.
- Half crayfish tails lengthways and remove the veins.
- Rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- Brush each crayfish or tail with a little melted butter.
- Divide the remaining butter into 3 small dishes.
- Add the anchovies and olives to 1 dish, the herbs and garlic to another, and the saffron and chili to the remaining dish.
- Mix and allow the butters to stand for a short while for the flavours to infuse (keep in a warm spot so they don’t solidify).
- Grill the tails on the braai for 5 – 6 minutes. Serve immediately and drizzle with the butters.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
You give and excellent service and the crayfish tails were just wonderful.