Red Roman | Fresh Fish Box | Caught in Struisbaai
This fish has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x Red Roman(+1200g-1300g per fish)
*or 2 x Red Roman ( +_700g-900g per fish )
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
"Traditional linefishing uses rod and reel or handline equipment operated from small skiboats and deckboats. Linefishing is a relatively selective fishing method with few impacts on the marine environment and little incidental bycatch." SASSI webpagesrc=https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0362/4930/5132/files/geco3.svg>
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Whole Fish on the Braai
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- Whole Red Roman (or any whole small fish)
- 1 x Red Onion
- 1 big handful of Coriander
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp chopped Chilli
- 2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Lemon
- Scale the Red Roman if not already done. An easy way to do this is by pulling a fork against the grain which will take the scales off.
- Make sure your fish is gutted and the cavity is nice and clean.
- Score the skin of the fish to allow the flavours of your marinade to infuse into the meat.
- Chop the red onion and coriander and fill the cavity of the fish
- Grate some lemon rind into the cavity. Set the lemon aside for later.
- Mix together the garlic, chilli, ginger and soy sauce and use this to coat the fish (pour and rub half the mixture over the fish, keeping remaining half for basting throughout the cooking process).
- Place fish in a braai grid which has a handle and can close and be turned easily.
- Cook the whole fish over medium coals for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes so that the skin doesn't burn. Using a basting brush, paint the fish with the marinade with every flip.
- The fish is done when the eyes are white and the skin has pulled tight. If you take a fork and pull the meat from the back bone, it should pull away easily.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
In tinfoil over the coals ... super !
This was my first order and I was pleasantly surprised with the neatness of the box as well as the vacuum-sealed product! Looks 100% fresh!
Received my order the same day of ordering it. The fish was beautifully packaged and kept cold with ice bags inside little cooler box. Fish was big, beautiful and fresh. Can't wait to put it on the braai over the weekend. Green Fish never disappoint. Thank you so much for your excellent service!
This fish is my all time favourite and Green Fish did not disappoint - it was excellent and oh so fresh
The fish were lovely, fresh and plump. I bought it for my family as I don’t usually enjoy fish, but I tried a piece and ended up making a meal of it and enjoying it as much as they did. It wasn’t fishy at all, and it had a firm, meaty texture which I really enjoyed.
So most delicious buy, so fresh and tasty. Excellent customer service.
I bought a whole Red Roman from Greenfish for my first fish braai. It was delicious! The fish had been beautifully prepared and I just needed to marinate and stuff it. I followed the fishwife's recipe for a whole fish braai, except filled the fish with dill and parsley instead of coriander. It was an easy cook.
Absolutely delicious. Panfried the fillets to perfection. Yet to braai the whole fish. Service was excellent, instructions re prep and packaging followed meticulously.
First time buying from Green fish. Service was phenomenal. Can't wait to try out the fish cos it looks so amazing. Green fish is definitely going to be my 1 stop shop for all seafood in future.
Exceptional quality. The fish is so fresh. Can't wait to make Red Roman curry..... A must buy when in stock. Rating: 5
Service was speedy and the fish., oh my the fish it was really really fresh and I’ll definitely be using their service again. Thank you green fish.
Bit smaller than expected but fish was delicious on the braai
Thank you for making the availability of fresh, tasty fish just a click away. The red roman was as good as the previous fish.
Love what you bring us. Thanks
The Red Roman was nicely packed and kept cold with an icebag. The delivery was prompt. The fish was delicious. All in all this was a lovely experience. I look forward to working with Green Fish
Our expectations were exceeded! Currently making another order as I type.
So pleased with both the ease of ordering and delivery plus such beautiful and fresh fish. Please do make it easier to order prep details re. Filleting, deboning, etc. I had to send a follow up email to do so. But my filleted Red Roman arrived perfectly and within hours! Thanks