Red Roman | Fresh Fish Box | Caught in Struisbaai
This Red Roman has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 x Red Roman(+1000g-1200g per fish)
*or 2 x Red Roman ( +1000g-1200g combined weight )
Your Red Roman will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months.
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
"Traditional linefishing uses rod and reel or handline equipment operated from small skiboats and deckboats. Linefishing is a relatively selective fishing method with few impacts on the marine environment and little incidental bycatch." SASSI webpage
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Medium
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Medium
Whole Fish on the Braai
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe. You will need:
- Whole Red Roman (or any whole small fish)
- 1 x Red Onion
- 1 big handful of Coriander
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp chopped Chilli
- 2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Lemon
- Scale the Red Roman if not already done. An easy way to do this is by pulling a fork against the grain which will take the scales off.
- Make sure your fish is gutted and the cavity is nice and clean.
- Score the skin of the fish to allow the flavours of your marinade to infuse into the meat.
- Chop the red onion and coriander and fill the cavity of the fish
- Grate some lemon rind into the cavity. Set the lemon aside for later.
- Mix together the garlic, chilli, ginger and soy sauce and use this to coat the fish (pour and rub half the mixture over the fish, keeping remaining half for basting throughout the cooking process).
- Place fish in a braai grid which has a handle and can close and be turned easily.
- Cook the whole fish over medium coals for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes so that the skin doesn't burn. Using a basting brush, paint the fish with the marinade with every flip.
- The fish is done when the eyes are white and the skin has pulled tight. If you take a fork and pull the meat from the back bone, it should pull away easily.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Awesome baked whole Red Roman
The fish was very clean, super fresh and easy to prepare. Delivered whole , scaled and gutted . I made a marinade and cut and folded open the vacuum bag like a book and could work on that. No mes. No fuss. Rubbed on the marinade and a few hours later baked the fish. It was absolutely delicious!
Efficient ordering process Fast delivery
Excellent Will definitely buy again
Greenfish all the way
Great fish, great service
Red Roman - Fresh
Beautiful, big fish. Well packaged, fresh, and a pleasure to work with. Always a fantastic product when buying from Green Fish. The Chefs choice!
The fish we ordered was beautifully fresh, well packaged and the delivery was spot on! We’ll definitely be using your services again.
Amazingly delicious and dangerously fresh!
It was my first purchase from Greenfish. I have never purchased fresh fish online, because you might just be catfished! Luckily this was a Red Roman, and it was incredibly delicious. A fresh fish smells like a fresh fish and looks like a fresh fish! Added butter and thyme to the pan with some garlic, and oh my, what a beautiful fish. Already on the site for my next purchase!
It had the best flavour and was such a good size fish.
Such a rare find. Always order when it's available. Delicious and as always as fresh as ever.
Best fish in the world
I've been waiting for this fish to become available for a while and it was so worth the wait. Freshly fried with salt, pepper and fish masala... I ordered another before I finished eating my first. Will be adding an alert for when this becomes available again. You will not regret buying this!!!
Decent sized fish and so deliciously fresh!
Beautiful fish - Red Roman
Super great service (delivery same day). The Red Roman was fresh and tasty. I used the Fish wife recipe. I will be buying this one again, for sure!
Amazing friendly service from Greenfish and received my Red Roman within 3 hours from ordering online - thank you Greenfish you are the best
Our favorite fish
Red Roman is our favorite fish and it's really amazing if one can get it this fresh and cleaned. Thank you for the perfect fish. I bought 3 but should have gotten more. :-)...
Fresh Red Roman
In tinfoil over the coals ... super !