Chokka | Frozen Box | Wild caught
CHOKKA-FUL OF FLAVOUR
The Cape Hope Squid (commonly known as chokka or calamari) is a small (20 – 30cm long) species of squid which lives in coastal waters. Chokka are endemic to the South African coastline and spend their days on the seabed, coming to the surface at night. 95% of the chokka harvested in South Africa is exported to countries around the world. All our chokka is caught by local traditional artisanal squid fishermen departing from False Bay and St Francis.
Clean Tubes and Heads (approx. 750g - 800g per pack)
Your Chokka will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost, simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly.
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
All our chokka is sourced from artisanal squid fishermen, using one jig and line, catching one squid at a time. This fishing method is highly targeted and there is almost no incidental bycatch or damage to the environment. Chokka are fast growing, and although fishing pressure has increased their population levels and biomass are increasing. We do not source any chokka caught through trawling.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Low
GEAR USED : Hand line jig
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 500km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Very high
Coriander and Lime Chokka
Chokka can be grilled, fried or braaied, but The Fishwife is here to share her recipe for Coriander and Lime Chokka. You will need:
- 250g chokka
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 tsp sugar
- sushi mayonnaise
- Cut open the chokka tubes to make fillets.
- Remove the membrane from the chokka tubes by scoring them with a fork lengthways. Any bit of residue that is retained in the fork can be disposed of.
- For the heads, remove the beak and cut the eyes off.
- Combine the olive oil, coriander, lime juice and sugar to make your marinade.
- Place the scored chokka fillets and your heads in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade into the bag.
- Seal and allow to marinade for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the heads from the marinade and thread onto a kebab stick for easy turning.
- Place the chokka fillets on a sealable braai grid which presses closed - this way when the chokka cooks, it will prevent them from curling.
- Braai on a medium high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Enjoy with sushi mayonnaise on the side.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
great product very happy
Beautiful and fresh. Best buy.
Simply The Best!
I am very glad that I came across GreenFish, Every time that I have ordered, the quality has always been superb and service excellent! Deliver turn around time is amazing for those who often wake up in the morning and then only deciding what ti have for supper. I also love the fact that one can see exactly where the product is coming from and the status of their sustainable fishing.
Tasty squid and efficient service
The squid was quite delicious and the squid was delivered on the same day even though I ordered after 11am! Definitely going try the other products in the near future!
Great service and fish
I ordered late afternoon and was shocked when the delivery showed up about an hour later. Thanks for the being so quick! We're cooking swordfish for dinner tonight, it looks amazing.
Best Squid I’ve ever had
I always wanted to try the local squid to know what the fuss was about... now I understand! Absolutely worth it. I made a very simple recipe and it just tasted like the best squid I’ve ever had!
Incredible Product, Incredible Service!
Absolutely loved it and will definitely use this company again!