This recipe is a family favourite and one I cannot take credit for! Thanks Granny Filly!
I previously did a crispy crumbed hake recipe which I adapted from this original – it’s an easy, versatile recipe that you can use on most white fish. Enjoy!
Granny Filly's Crumbed Soles
- Sole Fillets (2-3 per person))
- Cornflake Crumbs (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE)
- Salt & Pepper
- Shards of butter (Keep butter refrigerated)
- If you are using frozen sole fillets, you can allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Soak the soles in milk for approximately 2 hours. I use a bread tin for this as I find it to be the perfect size.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and grease with Spray and Cook.
- Remove the soles from the milk and allow to drip dry before placing on the baking tray.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cornflake crumbs generously over the fillets. Use your finger or the back of a spoon to evenly coat.
- Slice thin shards of butter and space evenly over the fillets (make sure you are using refrigerated butter in order to cut your shards easily).
- Switch the grill on to low and place the tray under the grill for approximately 2 minutes allowing the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has melted remove from the oven and add extra shards of butter to any areas that have been missed and that remain dry.
- Place the tray back under the grill, this time on a medium heat setting on the second shelf from the top.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crumbs should be a nice golden colour.
- Turn the fillets over and repeat the seasoning and crumbing process.
- Grill for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with your choice of sides.
- I suggest serving with pink sauce - my easy recipe is in the notes below.
- My easy Pink Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chutney
- (mix all together)