Fresh box | Sliced Yellowtail for Pickled Fish| Caught in Struisbaai
This catch of the day features 1 yellowtail cut into slices for pickled fish this yellowtail has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
1 xYellowtail Cut in Slices (Fish start weight is 3.0-3.5kg whole before cutting)
Your box will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months. Yellowtail flesh colour may change colour from a light white to light brown once frozen (this is normal).
Yellowtail is a fast breeding, faster growing and highly resilient fish, with unpredictable seasonal migrations. The latest stock assessments conducted by SASSI indicate populations are healthy and not at risk from overfishing. Our yellowtail is caught using artisanal landlines, this highly selective fishing method has a low impact on the marine environment.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Low
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 200km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Very high
Spicy Pickled Fish
A spicy recipe, bursting with flavour! You will need:
- 1 sliced Yellowtail
- 4 onions (sliced into rings)
- 500ml brown vinegar
- 500ml white vinegar
- 170ml water
- 30g sugar
- 50ml curry powder (masala)
- 15ml turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 lime leaves (or lemon leaves)
- 2ml black pepper
- 1 cup apricot jam
FOR THE BATTER
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1 cup milk
- Corn Starch (maizena)
- Oil for frying (to fill up approx 1/4 of the pan)
- Add all of the following into a large pot: onion rings, vinegar, water, sugar, masala, turmeric, cayenne pepper, lime leaves, black pepper and apricot jam. Cook slowly for approx 40 minutes.
- In a blender first add the egg and milk and blend until well combined.
- Add the salt, pepper and flour and blend until it forms a batter with no visible lumps.
- Leave the batter for 30 minutes.
- Blend the batter again just before using to create some nice air pockets.
- Put some cornstarch in a bowl and roll the yellowtail slices until they are lightly coated. (Using cornstarch before applying the batter will act as a natural glue and help the batter to stick to the fish).
- Fill a pan with oil approximately a quarter of the way up the side and put on a medium to high heat.
- Dip the cornstarch covered fish slices into the batter until completely covered and then fry in the heated oil for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. You want to have a slightly golden batter but you don't want to overcook your fish.
- Remove the fried pieces and place them on some paper towel so that it soaks up some of the excess oil.
- Once all the pieces are fried, set aside before placing them into glass jars or glass containers. (I was able to fill 3 large jars).
- Check on your sauce which should have reduced nicely on the stove. Remove it from the heat after your 40 minutes is up and while the liquid is still hot, pour over the fish in their containers.
- Allow to cool before refrigerating. Keep in the fridge for 2-3 days before eating which will allow the fish to soak up all those awesome flavours!
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
My shopping experience with Greenfish was world class. I placed my order online and delivery was received in under 2 hours! The Packaging and Product was also really impressive. I will definitely be shopping with Greenfish much more in the future.