Atlantic Bonito | Katonkel (Mackerel family) | Fresh Fish Box | Caught West Coast
It has been locally and sustainably caught by our artisanal handline fisherman, one hook, one line, one fish at a time. We have carefully selected for you to enjoy with your family or friends. Atlantic bonito is part of the mackerel family, is very oily and great in the smoker. Fresh it works well in ceviche and sashimi, or even in the pan. A mild game flavoured easy cooking fish.
2 x Fresh Atlantic Bonito Fillets ( +_1.0kg-1.2kg per pack)
Your fresh Atlantic Bonito fillets will arrive fresh, simply store in your fridge and use at your leisure (up to 5 days). For home freezing, freeze on the day of arrival, and use within 3 months. Atlantic Bonito flesh colour may change colour from a light pink to light brown once frozen (this is normal).
*pin bones are in
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Low
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 20km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : Very high
Smoke Bonito fillets
The Fishwife is here to share a delicious recipe with a DIY smoker. You will need:
- Bonito fillets
- A wide pot or pan with a lid that seals tightly
- Tin foil
- Wood chips or shavings
- A wire rack to fit the base of the pot or pan
- Line your pan with tinfoil (shiny side up).
- Place your wood chips in the centre of the tinfoil.
- Place your wire rack on top of the wood shavings.
- Place your Bonito fillets seasoned with salt and pepper on the wire rack. Make sure the wood chips are not touching the fish.
- Place the pan on a high heat. It will take approximately 5 minutes for the wood chips to start smoking. Once smoking allow the fish to smoke for a further 10 – 15 minutes (you may wish to turn the heat down to medium here). The fish is done when it has turned a lovely golden colour. You may need to smoke for a bit longer if the fillets are thick.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy as is, in a salad or turn into a lovely paté!
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Order before 11am for same-day delivery (Monday to Friday)
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Delicious fish! As always it is delivered so quickly and is so hygienic and fresh.
Delicious new fish for us which we enjoyed very much.
Have been purchasing regularly and I have never been disappointed.
I'm a returning customer of Green Fish and they never disappoint. We prepared it very simply, pan fried and it was amazing. Thanks guys!