Traditional West Coast Snoek | Frozen Box | Wild Caught
THE MOST SOUTH AFRICAN OF FISH
In the Western Cape, the snoek braai is a universally shared social occasion. This hardy fish is as commonly enjoyed, as it is easily found in the cold waters of the west and southern coast of South Africa. Snoek has a distinctive, unmistakeable flavour, which comes from sardines and anchovies it likes to prey on. The flesh is firm, but oily, which is one of the reasons it works so well on the braai. Our snoek comes flecked, which is a process of filleting from the back and then curing lightly with salt to extract water and firm up the flesh before freezing. All our snoek comes from handline fishermen catching off Lambertsbaai on the West Coast.
1x Snoek per Box (approx. 1.5kg – 2.2kg) * About 8-9% of local snoek caught are pap. We know this because when we fleck them, we take out the pap ones before salting, wrapping and freezing the good ones before we distribute. The pap snoek are made into salted snoek and sold separately.
* In the unlikely event that you think you have a pap snoek, please snap a photo and send us a whatsapp to assist you – 0636662802. If it is "pap" please wrap and freeze it and we will gladly swap it out.
Your Snoek will arrive frozen, simply store in your freezer (up to 3 months) and use at your leisure. It is best to remove product from packaging to defrost, simply place on a tray in your fridge and allow to thaw slowly
Any special requests or instructions can be left in the NOTES section at the Checkout. Eg: Your doorbell does not work, you require a phone call before the order arrives, you would like the fillets / steaks vacuum packed seperately or cut into smaller portions etc.
Snoek is often caught by trawlers or imported from Australia and New Zealand (where it is known as barracouta). However, all Greenfish snoek is sourced from handline fishermen in Lambertsbaai on the west coast. Not only does handline fishing offer the lowest possible environmental impact, but we also believe it yields the best quality.
ECOSYSTEM IMPACT : Low
GEAR USED : Single line and hook
SUPPORTING LOCALS : Yes
DISTANCE TRAVELLED : 250km
DOLPHIN / TURTLE IMPACT : None
REPRODUCTION POTENTIAL : High
Braaied Snoek with Apricot Jam
Our partner site The Fishwife shows us why braaied snoek and apricot is so highly regarded on the Cape Peninsula. You will need:
- 1 Greenfish flecked snoek
- 85g butter
- 2 heaped tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup chutney
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed)
- Get your braai on the go and grease the grid so the snoek skin doesn't stick to it.
- Place your flecked snoek on the grid, skin side down.
- In a small pot on the stove, heat the butter and garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the jam, chutney and lemon juice and combine with a whisk into a nice sticky chutney jam.
- Allow the jam to reduce on a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with the whisk.
- Take the jam off the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before basting the fish.
- Baste the snoek generously with the jam until evenly coated.
- Place the grid over the hot coals, skin side down.
- Cook on a medium heat, with the grid at its highest setting for about 15-20 minutes.
- Best enjoyed straight off the grid with your fingers!
Note: Flecked snoek already has a salty taste, so there is no need to salt the fish.
R65 same-day packaging & delivery fee
Free delivery on all orders over R1,200*
*Free delivery only applies for orders that are in the standard delivery zone.
CBD | Southern Suburbs | Houtbay | Plattekloof
Deep South | Table View, Blouberg, Melkbos | Durbanville
Stellenbosch | Somerset West | Franschhoek | Paarl
All zoned areas: Monday to Friday
- Order before 11am and receive your delivery the same day.
- Order after 11am and receive your delivery the following delivery day.
- Please note we do not deliver on Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays
- Re-delivery fee may apply if delivery cannot be taken between delivery times (14:00 - 17:00) without any prior arrangement and a delivery was attempted. Email [email protected] or call 063 666 2802
- Collections are free and take place Monday to Friday.
- Orders placed online before 11am will be ready to collect same-day from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Orders placed online after 11am will be made ready for collection the following working day, from 12h00 to 5pm.
- Should you place your order after 11am and need it that day, or need to collect before 11am (Monday to Friday) please contact our office 063 666 2802 and we will get it ready for you, it normally takes us an hour to cut and prepare.
Google Maps Search : Greenfish
Greenfish factory is located in N'Dabeni (Maitland) off Berkley Road turn into Ryger Road. Drive +-300m and the road will bend sharply to the left. We are situated in the bend in a complex called Berkley Square. Ask security for Greenfish Collections. Please park outside the home collection door and ring bell. It is well sign posted. Please park right outside the door.
We are working hard to extend our range. If you live outside our current delivery range but think there is significant demand in your area, please contact us.
Hake Box ; Snoek; Kingklip; Tuna and Poysters
Thank u Greenfish! Will definitely purchase again.
High quality products with excellent service.
Ordering process was easy and effective. Excellent communication throughout. High quality and fresh products.
Excellent! Great service and snoek is perfect
Super friendly and professional help with order
Not used yet, still frozen in deep freezer.
Traditional West Coast Snoek
Great! Good quality snoek!
Yummy yummy yummy!
I order from Greenfish often and this is a favorite. They cut it into 3 portions so it's enough for 3 braai days! We marinade it in apricot jam ( low sugar), cashew butter, garlic, lemon and chili. Wonderful, easy and economical.
extra speedy delivery
Hui Ryan We LOVED the tuna..had it sashimi style and enjoyed it very much. I will soon order some salmon and also we will look at your prawns/langoustine offers. Thanks and also the extra speedy delivery Reghards
Purchase of Traditional West Coast Snoek | Frozen Box | Wild Caught
The frozen West Coast Snoek was well packaged and truly value for money. I made pickled fish and there was enough to feed family and visitors who thoroughly enjoyed the fat snoek I will definitely purchase from you again.
Thank you! your service from beginning to end was absolutely amazing 5 plus stars. Amazing communication and also the fish eaten a week later phenomenal. Great fish fresh delish and sooo fresh. Wow Thank you. Keep up the great service
Fresh from the sea
My snoek came well packaged. Cleaned. Fresh and delicious .
Traditional West coast snoek.
The product was excellent in all aspects - I will definitely recommend it to our friends.
The Best Fish Ever!
Absolutely great service! They go above and beyond! Fish was delivered on time like they promised! And O the fish!!!!!! Oh my word !!!!!!!! I have never eaten such fresh finger licking fish before …. I cooked it after a week of receiving the fish but o was it still so fresh. Thank You GreenFish for your service and fish! No doubt I will order more fish from them. Thank you!!!!!
Traditional West Coast Snoek | Frozen Box | Wild Caught
It's good to know that you are actually eating Snoek and not Barracudas. I will never buy my snoek at any other place.
Excellent Quality Fish
The fish was delivered on the same day on which it was ordered. It was well packed and when we cooked the fish it was clear that it was super fresh and hence very tasty. The after sales service was equally professional with follow up calls confirming receipt of my order and satisfaction with the contents. I will certainly support Green Fish in the future and have already recommended them to my friends.
I was reluctant to order the frozen snoek but wow, the best frozen snoek I’ve ever eaten. Defrosted overnight in the styrofoam box, it was ready to braai for lunch the next day. It was delicious, very close to the flavour of fresh snoek.
snoek was enormous
Dear Ryan, The snoek was enormous & we braai it (only 1/6th we are only 2) on the open fire. It was lovely (thick & juicy almost like fresh)! We have not used the Lobster, Prawn tails & the smoked salmon. The packing was & delivery 100% . Kind regards. J
WELL PACKED & ALMOST LIKE FRESH!
The Snoek was Pap
Quick delivery, Nicely packaged, Good Size although the snoek was PAP...
Great quality snoek
Greta service from Greenfish that cut the fish the way I asked. The quality was great, fish was firm and fresh when cooked.